eXTReMe Tracker

Thursday, February 6, 2014

New years resolution and time to get in shape! By Janel Smietana

Thanks for taking the time to read this blog by Janel Smietana

-It's that time of year, or a little bit after the fact. By now, you or I have either stayed with our new years resolution or let it greatly drift us by. Studies do show that if you stick to something for about 21 days or more, you are likely to make it a habit.

-Residency is a huge time commitment. This one, Janel Smietana, gained a bunch of weight. Long hours coupled with those of us who stress eat for emotional comfort and lack of time in the gym can take its tool.

-It was time for this girl to stop making excuses. It was terrible seeing how I let my fitness go, as a former athlete.

-I have since lost 12 pounds. Now I know what some of you might be saying, 12 pounds no big deal. However on my frame 12 pounds can be the difference of looking obese and skinny.

-What worked for me, I always thought calorie logging was kind of BS. Keeping track can be tedious and what difference did it make. Well, that is when I found out about this little fantastic, again FANTASTIC website/app http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  My profile on there is under my name, Janel Smietana

-with http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ what it does is really hold you accountable. I tracked everything I ate. It wasn't just that however, I am able to put in my exercise. What this does is really give you a net caloric intake. You can eat a snack and realize you have more or less calories left since you worked out.

-Another thing I tried was Zumba. Being a former cheerleader, gymnast and dancer, it barely feels like a workout. I also feel like I am learning a new dance routine because I am. It is a great time and helps a lot.

-I, Janel Smietana, think cutting out a lot of processed foods is key. I don't totally cut out carbs, because I love fruit. I also eat sugar free chocolate. Portion sized popcorn and pretzel bags were also key (they are 100 calorie bags). I am someone who can finish a whole bag of something, so if I have a smaller bag I finish the smaller bag.

-Lastly stay patient. This is the biggest thing. I gave up on past diets because after a few days if I only lost a pound I freaked. You have to have patience, especially if you have a smaller body frame naturally. Think about, it takes time. You are healthier and skinner and the weight will come off if you stick with it.

-You can allow yourself cheat days. No all or none. Better to have one cheat day than 7!

Good luck
Janel Smietana

5 comments:

  1. lots of great tips!!!! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. janel smietana keep the great tips coming!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the great tips Janel Smietana,,, Losing 12lbs is awesome. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always remember some old gymnastics training to push myself! Miss those days <3

    ~Janel Smietana

    ReplyDelete

eXTReMe Tracker